Friday, February 22, 2008

Last Song Syndrome: Michael Jackson - P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)

Right at the top of my head, I'd have to say my most favorite songs from the Thriller album of 1982 would have to be "Human Nature", and this song right here, "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)".

"P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)" was originally written by Michael and buddy Greg Phillinganes (who at the time, had finished working on one of Stevie Wonder's greatest albums of all time- Songs In The Key of Life)- and was written as a more mid-tempo R&B jam.

When tracks were being laid down, Quincy Jones (who was producing the Thriller album) wanted this particular song to be more upbeat- so he re-wrote it and so it was Jones' version that appeared on the first commercial Thriller release. Dude, whatever Quincy says, goes, I suppose.

In any case, MJ's original version of "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)" can also be heard on disc 2 of Michael Jackson: The Ultimate Collection. In Thriller 25, the original demo is remixed as "P.Y.T. 2008", but this time featuring will.i.am.

A search on YouTube reveals that perhaps no video was made of "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)", unlike the bigger hits "Billie Jean", "Beat It" and "Thriller". You do have a number of tribute videos that use clips from other Michael Jackson vids.

In any case, I did find an interesting piece of work here from YouTube user tinaandstacey- which is what I'm putting on this entry, together with lyrics. Here we go!


Michael Jackson
P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) (1982)

You know you make me feel so good inside...
I've always wanted a girl just like you...
Such a pretty, pretty young thing... ooh!

Where did you come from, lady?
And ooh won’t you take me there
Right away, won’t you, baby
Tendoroni you’ve got to be
Spark my nature, sugar fly with me

Don’t you know now
Is the perfect time?
We can make it right
Hit the city lights
Then tonight ease the lovin’ pain
Let me take you to the max

I want to love you (P.Y.T.)
Pretty Young Thing
You need some lovin’ (T.L.C.)
Tender Lovin’ Care
And I’ll take you there, girl- ooh!
I want to love you (P.Y.T.)
Pretty Young Thing
You need some lovin’ (T.L.C.)
Tender Lovin’ Care
I’ll shake you there

(Anywhere you wanna go)
Yes I will, ooh



Nothin’ can stop this burnin’
Desire to be with you
Gotta get to you baby
Won’t you come, it’s emergency
Cool my fire yearnin’
Honey, come set me free

Don’t you know now is the perfect time?
We can dim the lights
Just to make it right
In the night
Hit the lovin’ spot
I’ll give you all that I’ve got

I want to love you (P.Y.T.)
Pretty Young Thing
You need some lovin’ (T.L.C.)
Tender Lovin’ Care
And I’ll take you there, yes I will, girl
I want to love you (P.Y.T.)
Pretty Young Thing
You need some lovin’ (T.L.C.)
Tender Lovin’ Care
I’ll take you there, yes I will, hee-ee!

Pretty Young Things, repeat after me
Sing "Na na na" ("Na na na")
"Na na na na" ("Na na na na")
"Na na na" ("Na na na")
I Said "Na na na na na" ("Na na na na na")
I’ll take you there, take you there

I want to love you (P.Y.T.)
Pretty Young Thing
You need some lovin’ (T.L.C.)
Tender Lovin’ Care
And I’ll take you there, take you there
I want to love you (P.Y.T.)
Pretty Young Thing
You need some lovin’ (T.L.C.)
Tender Lovin’ Care
I’ll take you there, take you there

Here's some Trivia on Michael Jackson's P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing):

So we know Quincy Jones produced the album, right? But do you know which popular Quincy Jones protege also did work on the portasound keyboard for this particular song, as well as laid down background vocals and the handclaps?

The dude is James Ingram, ladies and gentlemen. Dude was busy building up an impressive resume before working on his solo career. Way to go, James!


Can't get that song out of your head? Then check out more of Renzie's Last Song Syndrome Project, the only blog service dedicated to getting that persistent tune out of your system- by giving you lots more of it!

Cheers, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment