Friday, February 22, 2008

Did You Know? Michael Jackson - Human Nature (1983)

We all know "Human Nature" as one of the most beautiful songs on the Thriller album of 1982- at least, that's what I think. Did you know though, that the song was written by a dude from Toto, and lyrics from the same guy that would later write Madonna's hit song "Crazy For You"?

It's true. Steve Porcaro of Toto- (one of the Porcaro brothers of Toto, anyway) is the band's resident keyboardist, and one of it's composers. Later on, he'd compose "Lea" which became a Toto hit in 1985. Supposedly, the 1982 Toto hit "Rosanna" was written about him and his "it's-rather-complicated" then-relationship with Patricia Arquette.

John Bettis, on the other hand provided the lyrics for "Human Nature"- and was the same dude who came up with the lyrics for The Carpenters' "Top of the World" (among others), and later on after "Human Nature", came up with the words for Madonna's "Crazy For You", Whitney Houston's "One Moment In Time", and Christopher Cross' "Swept Away".

Both were tapped by Quincy Jones to help out on the Thriller project in 1982, particularly for the song "Human Nature"


What's The Song All About?

"Human Nature" is supposedly one of Michael Jackson's songs that never quite had a clear-cut meaning. In fact, even today, everyone might very well have a different interpretation of the song. According to Wikipedia:

While talking about Thriller in his 1988 autobiography Moonwalk, Jackson mentions that "Human Nature" is "music with wings". It is also mentioned that people asked him frequently about the real meaning of the lyrics. Jackson replied with "People often think the lyrics have some special personal significance...which often isn't true...it's important to reach people, to move them...sometimes one can do this with the mosaic of the music melody arrangement and lyrics...sometimes it is the intellectual context of the lyrics".

Additionally, both Jackson and "Q" (how Jackson refers to Quincy Jones in the book) believed that "Human Nature" had the "prettiest melody that they had heard by far".

How Human Nature Got Included in the Thriller Album:

The following is taken from the special edition of Thriller, where Quincy Jones talks in the album's extra tracks. Again, this was taken from Wikipedia:

"Human Nature" would not have been included on Thriller if it weren't for forgetfulness. While producing Thriller in 1982, both Jackson and Quincy Jones had planned to include the song "Carousel" (now an outtake) on the album, as there was room for just one more "mood-like" song, as Jones puts it. However, Jones believed that "Carousel" had to be taken out and replaced. During this time, Toto sent Jones two demo tapes that they thought would be suitable for Michael.

The first two songs on the demo tape did not impress Jones. After the first two samples, Jones forgot to turn the tape off. It was at this moment, as Jones describes it on the special edition of Thriller, that "...and all of a sudden there was all this silence, and then it went "why? why?...da da da da da da da da...why? why?". While talking about it, Jones mentions that he gets "goosebumps from just talking about it".

It was this demo, written by Porcaro, that Jones decided to take Carousel out of the album, and was then replaced by "Human Nature", partly due to its "wonderful flavour". Jones then contacted Bettis to write a lyric to the song.

Lyrics, which are now immortalized, in my opinion, in probably one of the best ballads of all time. So everybody sing along now to "Human Nature". Video by Stacey of tinaandstacey on YouTube :)

Michael Jackson
"Human Nature" (1983)

Looking out
Across the night-time
The city winks a sleepless eye
Hear her voice
Shake my window
Sweet seducing sighs

Get me out
Into the night-time
Four walls won’t hold me tonight
If this town
Is just an apple
Then let me take a bite

If they say -
"Why? Why?" Tell ‘em that it's human nature
"Why, why does he do me that way?"
If they say -
"Why? Why?" Tell ‘em that it's human nature
"Why, why does he do me that way?"



Reaching out
To touch a stranger
Electric eyes are ev’rywhere
See that girl
She knows I’m watching
She likes the way I stare

If they say -
"Why? Why?" Tell ‘em that it's human nature
"Why, why does he do me that way?"
If they say -
"Why? Why?" Tell ‘em that it's human nature
"Why, why does he do me that way?"
I like livin’ this way
I like livin’ this way

Lookin' out
Across the morning
The city’s heart begins to beat
Reaching out
I touch her shoulder
I’m dreaming of the street

If they say -
"Why? Why?" Tell ‘em that it's human nature
"Why, why does he do me that way?"
If they say -
"Why? Why?" Tell ‘em that it's human nature
"Why, why does he do me that way?"
I like livin’ this way


Did You Know? is a continuing project of "My Thoughts In Stereo" to educate the music-listening radio audience. There's a lot more to your songs than you might actually know. And with more stories about your favorite songs, you might actually appreciate them more.

Cheers once again!

4 comments:

  1. This is definately one of my favourite MJ songs, along with 'Rock With You'. 'Human Nature' is just so smooth and it really is music on wings like Michael said. Whenever I listen to it, it's like I'm floating and I get goosebumps, butterflies and honestly, my heart skips a beat! And I must say, although the tune is brilliant, Michael's rendition makes it the song that it is. He doesn't fail to convey the emotion and I particularly like how the song is fairly low pitched with a few falsettos at the end which he sings perfectly. I especially like the deep ad-libs he does near the end such as, when he sings "if they say why..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you very interesting! when i heard carefully the song to me it seems to be a man who is in love with the city of new york... he preferes to be out than staying home he is dreaming of the streets ... thats my point of view

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to go to open mics and piano bars every night in NYC. After last call I would wander the city just absorbing silently all the sights and sounds of the wee hours of the morning. I would sing as I walked and at 5 am Grand Central Station would open and I would take the railroad north. These lyrics seem to meander along as I did back then. No real meaning, just a stream of thought stimulated poetically by the night stillness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the lyrics are about night life, its destructiveness and the narrator's addiction to it. It's so exciting but there isn't much real touch in cruising around,staring at someone and then spending the night with them. He wonders why he's living this way. He blames his choice on the excitement and human nature always wanting more. It's at once a beautiful song and yet so filled with loneliness and pain. Perfect blend.

    ReplyDelete