Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Dr. Horrible Sing-Along Blog Songbook, Part 3 of 3

Welcome to Part 3 (of 3) of my Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog Songbook- a special series on this blog, My Thoughts In Stereo, paying tribute to the brilliant internet musical directed by Joss Whedon.

In our last couple posts, we took on the first several songs from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog: From the first act- "My Freeze Ray", "Bad Horse (The Application)", "Penny's Song", and "What A Man's Gotta Do", and then from the second- "On The Rise", "Bad Horse (The Phone Call)", "Keep Your Head Up" and "Brand New Day".

This post features the songs of the last, third act:
  • "So They Say"
  • "Everyone's A Hero"
  • "Slipping", and finally
  • "The Finale / Brand New Day (reprise)"
So let's get this show on the road- ladies and gentlemen, the music of "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" Act 3:

The People of Los Angeles
"So They Say"

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, Act 3

Moving Guy #1: So they say Captain Hammer’s become a crusader-
political, he’s cleaning up the streets.
Moving Guy #2: About time

Groupie #1: So they say that it’s real love
Groupies: So romantic!
Groupie #2: He signed this.

Penny: So they say we’ll have blankets and beds
We can open by Monday thanks to you
Captain Hammer: Thanks to me!

News Anchors: It’s the perfect story
Newsman: So they say
Newslady: A hero leading the way
News Anchors: Hammer’s called to glory
Newslady: Let’s all be our best
Newsman: Next up, who’s gay?

Groupie #3: So they say he saved her life
Groupie #1: They say she works with the homeless
And doesn’t eat meat- we have a...
Groupies: ...problem with her!
Groupie #2: This is his hair.

Captain Hammer: This is so nice
I just might sleep with the same girl twice
They say it’s better the second time
They say you get to do the weird stuff
Groupies: We do the weird stuff!

Penny: This is perfect for me so they say
I guess he’s pretty OK
After years of stormy sailing
Have I finally found the bay?

*phone rings*
Moist: (to Pink Pummeller) He’s still not picking up...

Dr. Horrible and Penny: There’s no happy ending, so they say...
Dr. Horrible: ...not for me anyway
Penny: Should I stop pretending, or is this a brand new day?
Horrible: ...Stop pretending, take the chance to build
a brand new day!

Groupie #2: This is his dry cleaning bill
Groupies: Four sweater vests!


Captain Hero feat. the People of Los Angeles
"Everyone's a Hero"

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, Act 3

You know what? I don't need tiny cue cards.
When I fell deeply in love with my serious, long-term girlfriend, Penny-
Wave your hand, Penny-
*sporadic applause*

There she is! Cute, huh? Sort of a quiet, nerdy thing- not my usual- but nice.
Anyway, s
he turned me on to this whole- homeless thing- which is terrible.
And I realized, I'm not the only hero in this room tonight. I'm not the only one fighting.

It may not feel too classy
Begging just to eat
But you know who does that? Lassie
And she always gets a treat

So you wonder what your part is
Because you’re homeless and depressed
But home is where the heart is
So your real home’s in your chest

Everyone’s a hero in their own way
Everyone’s got villains they must face
They’re not as cool as mine
But folks you know it’s fine to know your place

Everyone’s a hero in their own way
In their own not-that-heroic way

So I thank my girlfriend Penny
Yeah, we totally had sex
She showed me there’s so many
Different muscles I can flex

There’s the deltoids of compassion
There’s the abs of being kind
It’s not enough to bash in heads
You’ve got to bash in minds

Everyone’s a hero in their own way
Everyone’s got something they can do
Get up go out and fly
Especially that guy he smells like poo

Everyone’s a hero in their own way
You and you and mostly me and you

I’m poverty’s new sherriff
And I’m bashing in the slums
A hero doesn’t care if you’re a bunch of scary
Alcoholic bums- Everybody!

Everyone’s a hero in their own way
Everyone can blaze a hero’s trail
Don’t worry if it’s hard,
if you’re not a friggin ‘tard you will prevail

Everyone’s a hero in their own way
Everyone's a hero in their–

Dr. Horrible
"Slipping"

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, Act 3

Look at these people, amazing how sheep'll
Show up for the slaughter
No one condemning, you lined up like lemmings
You lead to the water

Why can’t they see what I see Why can’t they hear the lies
Maybe the fee’s too pricey for them to realize
Your disguise is slipping, I think you’re slipping

Now that your savior’s as still as the grave
You’re beginning to fear me
Like cavemen fear thunder, I still have to wonder
Can you really hear me?

I bring you pain, the kind you can’t suffer quietly
Fire up your brain remind you inside you’re rioting
Society is slipping, everythings slipping away, so...

Go ahead- run away! Say it was horrible!
Spread the word- tell a friend! Tell them the tale!
Get a pic- do a blog: Heroes are over with!
Look at him- not a word! Hammer meet nail!

Then I win, then I get everything I ever
All the cash, all the fame and social change
Anarchy that I run- it’s Dr. Horrible’s turn
You people all have to learn
This world is going to burn... burn...
...yeah, it’s two R’s... H-O-R-R then I...
Burn!

No sign of Penny? Good.
I would give anything not to have her see
It’s gonna be bloody- head up, Billy-buddy
There’s no time for mercy

Here goes no mercy–
*sound of machinery dying down*
That’s... not a good sound...
*Thwack!*

Dr. Horrible
"The Finale / Brand New Day (reprise) "

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, Act 3

Here lies everything- the world I wanted at my feet
My victory’s complete, so hail to the king
(Everything you ever...)
Arise and see

So your world’s benign, so you think justice has a voice
And we all have a choice- well now your world is mine
(Everything you ever...)
And I am fine...

Now the nightmare’s real
Now Dr. Horrible is here to make you quake with fear!
To make the whole world kneel
(Everything you ever)
And I wont feel … a thing

"Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" was directed by Joss Whedon. Written by Joss, with brothers Jed and Zack, along with Maurissa Tancharoen. Music by both Joss and Jed. Lyrics by Joss, Jed and Maurissa. Stars Neil Patrick Harris as Dr. Horrible, Nathan Fillion as Captain Hammer, and Felicia Day as Penny.

Sing along to your other favorite Dr. Horrible songs by checking out parts 1 and 2 of my Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog Songbook, right here on my own blog (which you can really, now sing along to as well...), My Thoughts In Stereo.

Check out Part 1 of the Dr. Horrible Sing-Along Blog Songbook here, featuring the songs
  • "Laundry Day",
  • "Bad Horse (The Application)",
  • "Caring Hand", and
  • "A Man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do"
Check out Part 2 of the Dr. Horrible Sing-Along Blog Songbook here, featuring the songs
  • "On The Rise",
  • "Bad Horse (The Phone Call)",
  • "Keep Your Head Up", and
  • "Brand New Day"
Again: don't forget to check out the official Dr. Horrible website, and show your support by downloading your own copy from iTunes.

Cheers, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment