Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Last Song Syndrome: Care - "Whatever Possessed You" (1983)

Now I stand corrected. You know, all this time as a New Wave enthusiast and a radio professional in the Philippines, I've always referred to the duo of Ian Broudie and Paul Simpson as "The Care", when in fact it's really just "Care".

So Care it is. Not a great deal of listeners even know about Care. But if you're into the whole 80's Alternative/New Wave scene, then you've probably heard of them.

Their more famous songs? "Whatever Possessed You" would definitely be their defining sound with that awesome trademark guitar intro. Of course there's "Flaming Sword", "My Boyish Days" and "Chandeliers".

Formed in 1983, Care never released an album, only singles really- until 1997 (way after the band broke up) with the "Diamonds and Emeralds" compilation CD. And yes, I remember grabbing my own copy from CD Warehouse.

Here's a classic New Wave track I was able to catch on YouTube, courtesy of parkhill62. Check out this old video of "Whatever Possessed You". Enjoy!

Care
"Whatever Possessed You" (1984)


Goodbye my love
Heaven has been wronged
Now our young bent arms don't seem quite so strong
November and all the frost bites
Deep as the snow flowers plowed
This bed is colder than blood or bone

Never knock on my door- whatever possessed you, oh
Somewhere there's an emptiness
Hold me, tie me, I wouldn't dream of it



Beware my love
This tongue is a dying flame
My lies may fall like an acid rain
Maybe the sleet was in silently above the roads
You loving angel, you're skin and bones

Never knock on my door- whatever possessed you, oh
Somewhere there's an emptiness
Hold me, tie me, I wouldn't dream of it

November and all the frost bites... deeper than the snow flowers plowed
This bed is colder than blood or bone

Never knock on my door- whatever possessed you, oh
Somewhere there's an emptiness
Hold me, tie me, I wouldn't dream of it

Check out Care's very own entry on Wikipedia, and the respective official websites of Ian Broudie and Paul Simpson.

Can't get that song out of your head? Then check out more of
Renzie's Last Song Syndrome Project, the only blog service dedicated to getting that persistent tune out of your system- by giving you lots more of it!

Cheers, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment